Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Preparation for Creation to Christ

I've already shown the steps I took to prepare for Bean's year doing Heart of Dakota's (HOD) Bigger Hearts for His Glory curriculum.  I also spent a little time preparing for Bug's year doing Creation to Christ (CTC) from the same company.

I started by making two binders with dividers.  The first is her math folder and has dividers for Facts Tests, Lesson, and Practice.  Our experience from doing Saxon math last year is that she will need the entire 2 inch binder dedicated to just this subject.  She is doing Saxon 7/6 instead of the Singapore Math that HOD recommends.  That's something I like about this program.  It's customizable!


This one is for the HOD curriculum.  The tabs are for English, Spelling (or Dictation as it's called in this program), Writing, Geography, and Genesis.  See that big gap between the tabs?  Yeah, that's because, yet again, I used what I had on hand and I didn't have a full set.  Ehh... it works just the same.




Just like in Bigger, I put page markers in the sections of the manual that we would need on a regular basis.  Those are Narration, Dictation, and Poetry.  Again, I strongly recommend something better than Post-It notes as your dividers since these are going to get tattered pretty quickly.



Here again are the pictures of the page protector trial I am doing, as noted in my last post.  We are actually a couple days into the program and I have to say it's working well so far.



I took the student notebook pages from HOD out of the plastic and put them in this one inch, 3-ring binder.  They even provide a great cover page for the front.  I also stuck a divider tab in here after the pre-printed pages for us to have a place to put miscellaneous history pages (so far, handwritten answers to questions).


I just noticed she needs to customize this cover with her name. :)

I went to the Facebook and Yahoo! pages for CTC and printed off the science notebook pages some other people have created and made available for free to the public.  A huge shout of thanks to these people because I can tell they put hours of hard work into these.  The ones I chose are fun and colorful and are going to make science even more fun for Bug!  Science gets its own binder, too.  If I'd had a couple more 2 inch binders around the house, I may have considered combining some of these subjects into one.


I used the CD provided with the geography book to print all the maps and a few travel logs.  I'm not sure how many of those logs she'll need for the whole year, so I just printed a couple to get Bug started.  I stuck all these pages in the Geography section of her binder.



To make things easier for myself, I took the book we are using for the Storytime part of our day (I actually read this book out loud to her) and divided it into the 20 days we will study it.  Since we start the year with a focus on biographies, we chose one about Laura Ingalls Wilder.  We are also getting the DVDs of Little House on the Prairie from Netflix, so this is all tying together very well.


Finally, I divided the pages for her Drawn Into the Heart of Reading book selection (Carry On, Mr. Bowditch) into sections to be read over 15 days and wrote those pages in her workbook schedule.  She is doing level 6/7/8.





Once my research was done and I knew what I needed to prepare, this only took me less that an hour to fully accomplish.  Not bad!!  Hopefully I can save your some of that research time.  I did have to run to the store afterward and pick up the painting supplies that are recommended in the introduction to the manual.  I think my grand total for these purchases came to less than $40.  This picture doesn't include the tablet of paper, the masking tape, or the hard piece of plastic to tape her paper to as she's working (this helps keep the paper from curling since it is getting wet).


Want a bonus pic? Here's our bookshelf with all our homeschool material, whether it's stuff we are using this year or not.






Our first few days have past and I look forward to showing you all the stuff Bug and Bean are completing this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment