Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Unit 5 Bigger and Creation to Christ

Bigger

This is the first week that we really got everything done in a timely fashion and didn't feel overwhelmed with the amount of material.  I guess it really does just take a while to find your groove with this program.  If you are struggling, don't give up! It will get better. :)

Bean made this Indian sand painting.  We did not dye salt, as suggested in the guide, but instead used some colored sand we happened to already have on hand.
We started a new genre in our Storytime section: Adventure.  Bean and I were both VERY happy to be done with the biography Ben and Me. It had vocabulary that made it difficult for Bean to understand, thus her interest level was very low.  This is a picture of the activity we did to kick off the adventure book Snow Treasure.  Don't skip this, folks.  I thought it would be a waste of time, but Bean really got a kick out of me making "Buzzzzz" and "Ding ding ding ding" noises as she worked on the "combination."

In science we used glitter to show how germs are on our hands and why soap and warm water are most effective at removing them.  It's amazing all the places the glitter ended up landing (notebook, chair, counter, pencil, clothes)! Wonderful visual reminder of the importance of hand washing in the prevention of spreading germs.
We read about the pilgrims this week and their need for food.  The first column shows needs while the second shows wants.  I hesitated when she wanted to choose money as a need, but ultimately felt that in our culture, it is indeed more a need than a want, so I allowed it.
I loved the poetry activity this week.  There isn't always a paper activity with poetry, but for this poem Bean drew a picture of what she thought the poet was describing.  I've included the poem below for your comparison. :)



At the end of the week we began to introduce the idea of astronomy.  Sailors can use the North Star to guide them, so we drew the Big Dipper using a white crayon on black construction paper.  Word of advice, plan out the whole thing before starting because these stars ending up being a little too big and the North Star is squished up in the corner. LOL

Creation to Christ

I have a secret.  (Well, not for very long since I'm about to tell everyone in this post.)  I like CTC better than Bigger.  I think maybe it's because it's more advanced material, but it may also be because the topics are more interesting and the work seems more purposeful. Not to say that I dislike Bigger.  It's just that if I had to pick, I'd have no problem choosing. :)

Egyptian Palace Bread was the history project this week.  You are suppose to soak the break in honey, but we were fresh out of that, so instead we used some pure maple syrup.  It was a sticky, sticky mess and the bread kept breaking apart.  Then you bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes.
In the end, I think it turned out similar to the original design.  I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Bug and Bean weren't thrilled with it.  I thought it was palatable, but that's about the most praise I could give it.  Always good to try new things, though!
We started a new genre for Bean, too, in the Storytime box.  Adventure is afoot in this book, The Good Master by Kate Seredy.  I was doubtful that it would be interesting, but I gave it a shot since it was a Newbery Medal winner.  I do not regret choosing this book!  From the very first day, Bug and I were both deeply drawn into the book and had a hard time putting it down. 
At the beginning of the week, Bean showed how the continents fit together to form Pangaea.  I used the the National Geographic link provided in the guide to print the continents and then Bug assembled them for her notebook.
Later in the week, she continued her study of animal tracks by making homemade clay out of flour, salt, and water.  Then she used the back of a spoon and toothpicks to make different animal tracks.  Yes, that wild animal that lives in my home even left her own "track."  :)

Well, this is certainly not one of her best poetry paintings, I'll admit.  It's suppose to be rocks with dark shadows at the bottom.  I think the gray is suppose to add dimension.  She also did some scraping with a toothpick which was completely ineffective since the paint had already dried long before she could get to that step.  Yeah, it's...something.  Oh well.  They can't all be perfect! LOL
Finally, these are the completed history notebook pages for the week.  I love seeing these filled with all the information.  Also, I know Bean gets a huge sense of accomplishment at the end of each week.


No comments:

Post a Comment